Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) is a powerful tool that can help individuals navigate difficult conversations, be more persuasive, manage and motivate staff, and help others overcome their own obstacles. In this podcast, we took a closer look at NLP, and explored the five key ingredients that Jason Barrett, an expert in NLP, believes are essential for effective NLP.
First, let’s define NLP. NLP is not just about the words we use, or our body language. It’s a tool for everyday life that helps us to be more effective in our interactions with others. Whether you’re a business owner, a sales professional, or someone who wants to improve their communication skills, NLP can help you achieve your goals.
Jason Barrett is an expert in NLP, and has been practicing it for nine years. He’s the head of programs at Wild Success, a company founded by Calvin Coyle. Barrett believes that there are five key ingredients to effective NLP, and in this podcase, we explored each one.
- Being intentional with language: One of the most important aspects of NLP is being intentional with the language we use. Barrett emphasizes the power of phrases such as “because”, which can create a sense of meaning and closure for the listener. By giving a reason or explanation for something, we’re more likely to have our message heard and understood.
- Body Language: Our body language plays a crucial role in how we’re perceived by others. By being aware of our own body language, and paying attention to the body language of others, we can better understand what’s going on in a conversation. Barrett suggested that paying attention to things like facial expressions, posture, and tone of voice can give us valuable insights into how others are feeling.
- Storytelling: Humans have been telling stories for thousands of years, and storytelling is an effective way to persuade and influence others. Barrett believes that by using storytelling in our communication, we can create a deeper connection with the listener and help them to see things from our perspective.
- Being aware of the other person’s perspective: One of the most important aspects of NLP is being aware of the other person’s perspective. By understanding where they’re coming from, we can better tailor our message to meet their needs. Barrett suggested that by asking open-ended questions, and actively listening to the other person, we can gain a deeper understanding of their perspective.
- Creating a sense of meaning: Humans don’t deal well with open loops, and we like to have meaning and closure. Barrett suggested that by creating a sense of meaning in our communication, we can help the listener to better understand and accept our message.
In conclusion, NLP is a powerful tool that can help us to be more effective in our interactions with others. By being intentional with language, paying attention to body language, storytelling, being aware of the other person’s perspective and creating a sense of meaning, we can achieve our goals and improve our communication skills.
By following Jason Barrett’s five key ingredients, you’ll be well on your way to mastering NLP and becoming a more effective communicator.
Want to check out the podcast interview? Listen here